Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mail from 8Q7EJ (G3VDB Jim)..20121105 14024kHz 8Q7EJ

Mail from 8Q7EJ (G3VDB Jim)..20121105 14024kHz 8Q7EJ

G3VDB Jim EVANS( Jim G3VDB operating on 28MHz.)

First licensed in March 1966 as GI3VDB. Equipment consisted of a Bendix RA1B receiver ex Catalina flying boat (!) and various ex military and home brew tx's for CW, some of which I modified to do FSK rtty. I believe I was the first GI to get BARTG QCA Award with 25 countries confirmed on RTTY.

I was QRT from around 1970 to November 2007, apart from a short period on 2m repeaters while mobile in 1990's.
Active on hf bands mostly CW, PSK31 and rtty with FT1000 Mk V Field, Icom IC-7000, all 100W max to wire antennas for 80, 40, 20m limited by suburban garden. I occasionally put up an R7 but it requires planning permission. I have an awkward neighbour who knows this, and objects, even though the antenna is not directly in her sight line.
I use Ham Radio Deluxe for rig control and logging and DM780 for data modes.
I dabble in contests on those modes to give a few points away and occasionally try to be heard in a CW pile up. I use Win-Test 4 for contest working and logging.
My preferred "QSL" method is now LOTW where I upload all logs. QSO's in eQSL are confirmed within a few days. I have no paper cards at present but am a member of the [RSGB] bureau and you will get a paper card eventually for any received.
Memberships:- RSGB, CDXC, 30MDG, EPC, Tall Trees Contest Group.
In October 2009, I operated as 8Q7EJ Maldives which was a lot of fun. I hope to repeat that experience regularly as my wife is a Scuba Diver and Maldives is a wonderful place to dive and to operate radio.
In October 2010, I tried 8Q7EJ again from a different island. As recorded at my 8Q7EJ entry, the excellent experience of 2009 was not repeated. With the same Ground Plane antenna further from the sea and on the south side of the island, I called CQ endlessly without being heard; calling other stations produced a few QSOs but all were difficult. Location is everything.
And in early November 2011, I was back on the first island, Vilamendhoo. This time I told the hotel what I had in mind and asked for a room even nearer the sea. The 14MHz G/P was against a tree about 1m from the sea "wall". I was very lucky with sun-spots too; for the last four days of the holiday I was working the Americas, north and south, with 100W, long path at my dawn on both CW and surprisingly SSB. Hopefully back this year with good propagation and complete WAS and DXCC rom 8Q7EJ.
I look forward to working you, whereever you are and I am!.
Enjoy our unique hobby.
73's, Jim

---------Jim san said to me----------

Mako San,
I found your recording of my 8Q7EJ operation on Soundcloud.
I thought you might like the other side of the recording. You are in the middle of the extract. Many loud signals at that time of my afternoon.
73's
Jim
8Q7EJ & G3VDB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


It's a miracle!!
I received an email from Jim san.then present for me Recording file(05/Nov/2012 1200UTC -)


05/Nov/2012 1200UTC at 14023.9kHz  JJ5IZX with 8Q7EJ(Maldives) side recording file

Date : 05/Nov/2012 1200UTC -
Freq : 14023.9kHz CW 
Rig : ICOM IC-7000 
ANT : ?
PC recording

(^^..very very weak signal (JJ5IZX)...Thank you very much Jim san..You have ""God Ears""

I hope to see you again next QSO  ...73's

No comments:

Post a Comment